Last Updated July 21, 2015
Avalara (“Avalara,” “we,” or “us”) respects your privacy and we are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website www.mylodgetax.com and related sites (collectively the “Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect on the Website; in email, text and other electronic messages between you and the Website; through any mobile and desktop applications you download from the Website, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and the Website; and when you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
This policy does not apply to information collected by us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Avalara or any third party; or information collected by any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Website.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information by which you may be personally identified, such as name, postal address, email address, telephone number, social security number, tax identification number, gross revenue information, or any other information the Website collects that is defined as personal or personally identifiable information under an applicable law (“personal information”). We also may collect information that is about you but individually does not identify you, and also information about your internet connection, the equipment you use to access the Website, and usage details.
We collect this information through a variety of mechanisms, including directly from you when you provide it to us and automatically as you navigate through the Website. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through the Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on the Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use the Website, subscribing to use our services, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our Website.
- Information required for us to perform tax and other payment services for you. This includes billing address, tax identification number, bank account information (including routing number, account number, bank name, and account name) and credit card information.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Details of transactions related to our registering you with taxing authorities, making tax payments, processing other payments for you.
You also may provide information and feedback to us that we may display on public areas of the Website, or transmit to other users of the Website or third parties. If you do not want your comments or feedback posted on the Website, please do not provide them to us.
Information We Collect through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with the Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns, including details of your visits to our Website, such as traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website. We may also collect information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system and browser type.
The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to estimate our audience size and usage patterns, store information about your preferences which allows us to customize the Website according to your individual interests, speed up your searches, and recognize you when you return to our Website.
We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present the Website and its contents to you.
- To register you as a Avalara MyLodgeTax member.
- To manage your taxes, tax payments, and licenses.
- To provide you with information, products or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to the Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third-parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you. If you do not want us to use your information in this way, please check the relevant box located on the registration form or adjust your user preferences in your account profile. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
We will also send you an email upon completion of the creation of your member account that contains your member ID and describes the benefits of using Avalara MyLodgeTax.
Disclosure of Your Information
- To taxing and other relevant authorities as required to perform our tax services for you. We do try and minimize the amount of information provided to that which is necessary for the action we are taking on your behalf.
- To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business and who are bound by contractual obligations to keep personal information confidential and use it only for the purposes for which we disclose it to them.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution or other sale or transfer of some or all of Avalara’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by Avalara about our users is among the assets transferred.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information:
- To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Avalara, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Promotional Offers from Avalara. If you do not wish to have your contact information used by Avalara to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out by checking the relevant box located on the registration form or at any other time by logging into the Website and adjusting your user preferences in your account profile by checking or unchecking the relevant boxes or by sending us an email stating your request to MyLodgeTaxSupport@avalara.com. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way.
Your California Privacy Rights
California Civil Code Section §1798.83 permits users of the Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to MyLodgeTaxSupport@avalara.com.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers behind firewalls. Any payment transactions and other personal information will be encrypted using SSL technology.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.